Friday, September 2, 2011

Turkey Chili

All right, here is Day 2 of my canning weekend! We love this Turkey Chili recipe so I thought I'd try canning some! Here is the recipe:

1 lb. ground turkey
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic
28 oz. diced tomatoes
12 oz. tomato sauce
15 oz. kidney or pinto beans
2 tsp chili powder
salt and pepper

Brown turkey in olive oil. Spoon off fat. Add onion and garlic and saute until soft, approximately 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and simmer.

We have done this in the past and just eaten it right away....I let it simmer for about 30 minutes or so and it's delish. We like a few more beans in ours, so I always use one can of red and one can of white beans. To can it, I made a change and used some canned turkey from Thanksgiving. I have used canned turkey in this recipe before and loved it, HOWEVER, I wonder if it wasn't the best for canning it. Some of my canned turkey was darker meat which is a bit greasier than white meat, or ground turkey. I'm not sure if that contributed, but for some reason, three of my jars didn't seal....I've NEVER had jars not seal like that so I wonder if the added grease was to blame. Anyway, I quadrupled this recipe and got 7 quarts, plus I have enough left over to probably do another 3-4. After the issue with jars not sealing, I think I will probably just freeze the rest.

I'm canning my beans right now, and hoping to can some vegetable beef soup tomorrow!

No comments: